A friend of mine recently recommended that I install laminate flooring in the new addition I’m building on my home. It came to me as a surprise because I’ve always had hardwood floors. Is laminate flooring good? How does it compare to other types of flooring?
– Josh S.
At Bestlaminate, we are biased toward laminate flooring because we’ve found it to be the best. Homeowner after homeowner agrees! Still, it is a relatively new type of flooring. Making a change from a type of flooring that you’re used to is always a little bit worrisome. Let’s help put some of those worries to rest.
Why Is Laminate Flooring Good?
Here are a few of the reasons we say that laminate flooring is a good alternative to hardwood floors.
- Packaging – You might not think that the way your flooring is packaged is a big concern. However, for DIY projects, you need your flooring out of the way, but still easy to reach for when you’re ready to install. Laminate flooring is more conveniently packaged making it easier for you to organize your work space and complete your flooring project in a fraction of the time it takes to install hardwood flooring.
- Attractive Design – Laminate flooring looks like real hardwood flooring – so much so in fact, that most people won’t be able to tell the difference when they enter your home. The way that laminate flooring is made allows you to choose a design that closely matches the same look and design of the hardwood floor your considering.
- Easy to Clean – Your floors will get dirty. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that. Laminate flooring is easy to clean. All you have to use is a broom and a damp mop. Some homeowners use a vinegar solution, but it’s not necessary.
- Buckling – Hardwood flooring is known for buckling under pressure from expansion or contraction. Laminate flooring is installed differently so that this is not a concern. Instead of installing pieces directly to the sub floor as you often do with hardwood, laminate flooring floats on top of the sub floor. The pieces are locked in together so they move together.
- Durability – Installing a new floor is a big project. You want your flooring to last for years to come. Laminate is one of the most durable types of flooring available today. It does not scratch, chip, or dent easily, making it perfect for high traffic areas of your home.
We love laminate flooring because it’s easy to install, easy to clean, and durable. If you have any other questions about laminate flooring, we’re happy to help. Contact our team to get answers to your questions about buying, installing, and living with laminate flooring.
If you still have questions, don’t hesitate to post them in the comments below or give us a call at 1-800-520-0961! We will be happy to help you!
Learn More About Laminate Flooring:
- Laminate 101
- Laminate Flooring vs. Hardwood: What’s Right for You?
- 9 Essential Tips for Laminate Flooring Installation
*This post was updated from 2014 to give you a better reading experience!