Are you ready to upgrade your old vinyl tile to new laminate flooring? If so, then this beginner-level DIY project is for you. The process is about as straightforward as they come, so if you’re willing to dedicate a Saturday morning and some elbow grease to the task, we’ll guide you through the steps.
Tools and materials:
- heavy-duty floor scraper
- utility knife
- tape measure
- broom or vacuum
- coping saw
- circular saw
- pry bar
- tapping block
- safety glasses and work gloves
- quick step flooring and installation materials
- Remove all self-sticking vinyl tiles with the floor scraper, and then make another pass across the subfloor to scrape away any remaining high spots of adhesive.
- Use your utility knife to cut through the paint around all baseboards and moldings, and then remove those features with the pry bar.
- Sweep away or vacuum the debris from Steps 1 and 2 to ensure the subfloor is clean and flat.
- Prepare a moisture barrier or other base layer above the subfloor as required by the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Follow those same instructions to install your new quick step flooring, using the hammer and tapping block to lightly force each plank into place against adjacent planks. Be sure to leave at least a