If you live in a small apartment, things can quickly become overwhelming. As stuff gathers in the corners, on the tables, and stuffed in your drawers you can quickly begin to feel claustrophobic.
Small apartment décor and organization can get tricky when you aren’t sure where to start. How do you organize it all? How do you make your home feel cozy without overpowering the space?
Here are few tips and tricks on how to organize your small space and make it livable.
The first step in taking your small apartment from crowded to livable is to de-clutter. Everyone has things they hold on to that they never use. Go through your things and evaluate the sentimental value versus how much you use each item. Then, toss or donate what you don’t use.
As you de-clutter, sort what you keep by season. Store off-season items (like swimsuits and beach towels in the winter) in plastic tubs stacked out of the way. Closets and under your bed are perfect places for this.
Organization is Key
Once you’ve de-cluttered, it’s time to organize what’s left. Here are few ideas to get you started:
- Utilize the back of doors to create storage by attaching towel bars or over-the-door organizers.
- Use a cloth door shoe organizer in the bathroom to store medical supplies.
- Install corner shelves in empty corners to maximize storage opportunities.
- Don’t waste wall space; use decorative hooks to hang purses and scarves.
- Maximize the space above and around a toilet with shelving.
- Use shelving as a headboard to store books and personal items.
- Raise your bed to create room for under the bed storage.
Worried you don’t have enough space for this? Make sure your furniture choices double as storage solutions. For example, if you have a coffee table double it’s functionality by using it to store for extra blankets and bedding.
Décor Via Organization
Don’t be afraid to incorporate your organization into the décor. Here are two ways to get items off a counter or dresser and on the wall as decoration.
Jewelry is beautiful so why not incorporate it into your décor? Back a large decorative picture frame with chicken wire and use S hooks to hang your jewelry from the wire. You can also simply use some wire and eye-hooks on the wall to hang earrings, necklaces, and bracelets!
Create a magnetic makeup board by using a large frame and backing it with a piece of sheet metal cut to fit. (For additional style you can cover the sheet metal with fabric that coordinates with your other décor to add a pop of color.) Next, use a hot glue gun to glue small magnets to the back of each piece of makeup so they can hang on the sheet metal. To organize brushes, buy a decorative vase to store them in on the counter.
Do you have any tips of your own on how to make a small space work? Share in the comments!
See more Design Tips:
- 5 Easy Tips To Make Your Living Room Pop!
- Tips For Decorating and Organizing a Kids Bathroom
- Transitional Bedroom Decor Tips – Growing from Toddler to Teen