Laminate flooring installation is a great project for DIY homeowners! But don’t fret if you find yourself having questions, it’s only natural! Here’s a list of 10 frequently asked questions right from our customers.
1. Can laminate flooring be installed on steps?
Yes, laminate floor can be installed on steps. The planks should be glued with regular wood glue with no underlayment. The moldings and transitions need to be nailed down. Here’s more information about installing on steps.
2. Can laminate flooring be installed in bathrooms and/or laundry rooms?
Yes, however you have to follow “wet area” installation rules. You need to seal the floor on the perimeter of the room and add a bead of glue to the tongue on the planks to be used in the areas subject to have spills. You should be aware that many warranties that come with laminate flooring do not include areas with a high moisture content. Before installing, be sure to check if your flooring brand is allowed to be installed in wet areas.
3. Can laminate flooring be installed in basements?
Yes, laminate flooring can be installed in basements. Make sure your underlayment has a vapor barrier to keep moisture from coming up through the cement subfloor. This excess moisture can ruin your lamiante flooring. A good underlayment for this type of installation is Visqueen Vapor Barrier. Do not install on any floor with a drain and make sure you subfloor is level.
4. Can laminate flooring be installed over carpet?
5. How much space should be left for expansion?
6. Can laminate flooring be installed over heated floors?
7. Can laminate flooring be installed over carpet underlayment?
8. What’s the best tool to use to cut laminate flooring?
9. What is underlayment and is it necessary?
The foam underlayment is essential to the bow and flex of the laminate. Being a wood product, it will expand and contract with the climate of the room- and the foam allows it to do this without any friction between the laminate and the floor underneath it. For installation over concrete, you must first put down a plastic vapor barrier before laying the foam.
10. How long should the floor acclimate prior to installation?
Do you have additional questions we can answer? Head over to our Bob & Betsy series to find more frequently asked questions or you can post them below this article and we will be happy to help you!
- Frequently Asked Durability Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions: Ordering and More
- Frequently Asked Questions About Laminate Flooring: Moisture Resistance & More
*This post was updated from 2010 to give you a better reading experience!