Over the holidays, my brother’s family stayed with us. When I woke up one morning I found a puddle of water on the floor. I cleaned it up quickly but I’m worried. Now, I’m starting to notice some mold forming (or at least I think it’s mold). Can hardwood floors get mold? What can I do if mine have it?
Yes, hardwood floors can get mold. When it does, it’s dangerous.
Mold poses a major risk to your health. Some types of mold are more dangerous than others. For example, if it’s black mold, you might want to get a professional cleaner to remove it.
If you are able to remove the mold yourself, it’s important to do so as quickly as possible. Gather the following materials before you get started.
- A face mask
- Protective gloves, such as rubber, latex, or vinyl
- White vinegar
- A spray bottle
- Paper towels
With these materials you’ll be able to remove the mold off the surface of your hardwood floors.
Step 1: Ventilate the area
To begin, open all of the windows in your house. Mold can cause health problems, so you want to be sure the spores don’t linger as you bring it up. You might also want to use a dehumidifier to lessen the moisture content in the room. This can help stop further mold growth.
Step 2: Spray with vinegar and water
Create a homemade mixture of ¼ cup white vinegar and 1 cup water. You might need to double this mixture if there is a lot of mold. In severe cases, you can use equal parts water and vinegar.
Spray the moldy area. Cover it completely.
Step 3: Clean
Once the moldy area has been covered in water and vinegar, wipe it up immediately using a paper towel. Make sure you do this wearing your rubber or latex gloves!
Step 4: Use a clean paper towel to wipe down the area
After the mold is removed, dampen a clean paper towel. Use this to wipe down the area, picking up any vinegar traces, lingering moisture or mold.
Step 5: Vacuum
Once finished, vacuum over the area to remove any extra mold from the floors. This will also help to keep the area dry. Remove the vacuum bag when you are finished.
Place all of the materials you used to clean the mold in a plastic trash bag and dispose of it outside.
Mold can be especially dangerous. By following these steps to remove it as soon as you see it, you’ll stop it before it spreads.