Laminate flooring thickness and laminate flooring durability are two different aspects of the floor. In short, no laminate thickness does not determine the durability of the laminate.
You may be scratching your head at this point, so please, let us explain:
Thicker flooring is sturdier and more structurally sound, which can be instinctively associated with durability. If you are installing in a high traffic area, a thicker floor is recommended simply because of the tougher core and stability. Thick floors are more forgiving to imperfect sub-floors, however this does not mean that thinner laminate flooring is not as durable. For example, a 6mm and 12mm floor with the same AC durability rating will perform similarly, despite the fact that they are of different thicknesses.
The AC rating is what determines the durability of laminate flooring. The higher the AC rating, the more durable the flooring will be.
- AC1 /21 Moderate Residential – suitable only for moderate residential use, such as a bedroom or a closet
- AC2/22 General Residential – suitable for normal residential applications, such as living rooms and dining rooms.
- AC3 /23 Heavy Residential – good for all residential applications
- AC3 /31 Moderate Commercial – ideal for all residential applications plus light commercial, such as hotel rooms or small offices
- AC4 /32 General Commercial – use for all residential plus general commercial applications, such as offices, boutiques and cafes
- AC5 /33 Heavy Commercial – great for all residential applications plus heavy commercial applications, such as public buildings, department stores, etc.
*Please note that Bestlaminate does not carry AC1 and AC2 floors due to their low performance. We recommend AC3 floors for all residential applications because of it’s durability.
When planning your project, consider both the AC rating and thickness of your flooring. Laminate flooring thickness plays a role in overall stability and sturdiness of the floor, while the AC rating determines the durability. If you are installing in a busy space, choose a floor with both increased thickness and AC rating to assure maximum performance.